Period Foods for Kids [was Re: SC - German cookbooks]

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Aug 30 21:37:00 PDT 2000

Lainie explained the differance between 'Jerusalem Artichoke' and
artichokes then said:
> Artichokes are steamed or boiled, and then you dip the leaves (in melted
> butter or mayonnaise, sometimes with lemon juice), and drag the inner
> side of the leaves over your bottom teeth, scraping off the soft flesh.
> All too delicious... *sigh* why do I feel like I've been writing soft
> core? ;-)

Thank you Lainie, and Cariadoc, for correcting me on this.

Lainie, I think the way of eating artichokes may be only a modern
method. It is the way they were done the one time I've had them, almost
thirty years ago. Possibly the period artichokes were tougher or this
method is so easy it wasn't written down or it was too simple for
period tastes.

You might also want to take a look at the several period recipes in
this file in this file in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section of my files.
These tend to boil the artichokes with meat and use a lot more different
spices.
artichokes-msg    (11K) 12/ 8/99    Period artichokes. Recipes. Cardoons.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net