SC - FRANKISH BRAISED BEEF

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Thu Aug 31 12:02:10 PDT 2000

And yet another message from Gene, this one having to do with the idea
of the origins of baklava...also contains some info on the phyllo
question:

Incidentally, this dish proved very good made with regular wheat flour.
not-very-different version of it still exists in Uzbekistan and around
there.  It is generally regarded as the ancestor of baklava, though
there
is more--puff pastry may derive from very thin sheets of dough cooked
very
rapidly on the bottom of a pot or on a hot stone, a technique
independently
developed in many parts of the world, from North Africa to south China
the Hopi pueblos.  One can pile them up and drench with syrup.  This may

have been invented in North Africa and been another input to the baklava

origin.

All of this has me VERY intrigued.  I hope to try making some of it this
weekend!

Kiri