SC - A request for assiatance

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Aug 31 23:29:30 PDT 2000

Lord Olaf Of Trollhiemsfjord said:

> Things I would like suggestions for:
> what kind of store bought bread is a reasonable substitue for the period
> bread?
> spreads or relishes that would go on the bread
> a couple of kinds of period cheeses

A number of cheeses that probably go back to period times can be found
in this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
cheese-msg       (144K)  7/27/00    Medieval cheese. Recipes.

> appropreate fruits & raw vegitables

Check the files in the FOOD-FRUITS and the FOOD-VEGETABLES section and for
some raw vegetables, this file in the FOOD section:
salads-msg        (97K)  5/23/00    Period salads. lettuce, greens.

> a Vegitable Soup or Stew
soup-msg         (114K)  6/ 8/00    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at
events.
                                       recipes.
stews-bruets-msg  (65K)  5/24/00    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.

> a Mulled Cider or other warm beverage

In the BEVERAGES section:
beverages-NA-msg  (80K)  9/ 2/99    Non-alcoholic beverages.
jalabs-msg        (48K) 12/ 2/99    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).
  I assume you are looking for non-alcoholic beverages. If you are not
limiting yourself to those there are lots of other possiblities mentioned
in the files in this section.

> a Sausage or Roasted Meats

In the FOOD section:
roast-meats-msg   (66K)  7/ 3/00    Hints and period recipes for beef roasts.
roast-pork-msg    (23K)  2/14/00    Cooking pork roasts. Medieval recipes.
sausages-msg      (96K)  6/ 8/00    Period sausages. Making sausage.

A new file, roast-chicken-msg should be there this weekend.

> a fruit tart/apple pie

Period-Pies-art   (33K)  9/29/97    "Raising a Coffin or the Fine Art of Making
                                       Period Pies." by Lady Aoife Finn.
pies-msg          (51K)  7/31/00    Period pie crusts, meat and fruit pies.
There should also be fruit-pies-msg but it seems to be missing from my
filelist. I would look in this section or FOOD-FRUITS.

I hope this gives you some ideas to start with.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net