SC - a game for cooks...

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Wed Aug 2 09:15:14 PDT 2000

Good morning from Eden,
Bogdan asks about egg spitting - I was among the perpetrators of the Great
Egg Spitting contest of 3YC and I must warn you up front - do this outside,
it stinks to high heaven!

we tried multiple techniques, from placing the eggs down in the fire till
they explode sending everyone literally diving for cover (German),  cracking
them over the coals & then saying "I'm not gonna try it, you try it"
(French), and of course skewering them in the Italian fashion.  We tried a
couple different skewers, round bamboo skewers didn't work at all, the egg
just kept rotating to cook only on one side. the flat metal kebab skewers
which were the best, especially when heated first per instructions.  We also
found that creating a small hole in the shell first with the tip of a knife
or the like & then sending the skewer through worked much better than trying
to jab the skewer into the shell!
we also tried various types of eggs, duck eggs being a little larger were
easier to work with but otherwise it made no real difference.

I was one of the brave souls who actually tried to eat the results of these
experiments & found the result unpleasantly rubbery & tasting excessively of
sulfur - bleah!  I'll stick with poaching them & serving them with Sauce Bob
thanks :->

Eden - married to the champion egg spitter of the known worlde ;->

WARNING: Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear!

Eden Rain
raghead at liripipe.com