SC - Ras uncharitable? No Way!!!!!

Philippa Alderton phlip at morganco.net
Thu Aug 3 10:27:56 PDT 2000

I've noticed that some of you folks new to the List have interpreted Ras'
remarks as meaning he's a Scrooge and a Grinch. You're sadly mistaken.
Granted he and I have our differences, but we're also very close friends,
have been so for some years, and despite his unfortunate methods of
expressing himself at times (and mine, as far as that goes ;-), I know him
as a very kind and charitable person. If you pass him by, without reading
his postings, you'll be missing the opportunity to know a very generous and
knowledgeable man.

In SPCA, which is the Cook's Camp we're developing from members of this
List, it's Ras who is in large part responsible for our efforts to be
available to feed anybody at Pennsic who needs a good meal, for free, unless
they WANT to donate a bit of cash or food, a performance, or a service. We
feel that too many at War don't eat right, and we're working on having a
Perpetual Stew Pot going for anyone who's too broke, too new, or too busy to
eat right. We also feel that if we have enough, then we have enough to
share, although many of us are not necessarily in the best financial shape.

Many of us question the propriety of mixing mundane charities with our
Medieval activities. I have no problem if it's mentioned up front, whether
it's Toys for Tots, or anything else, but I strongly resent things like what
happened a few months ago at a local event.

Some folk advocating the charity of their choice (can't remember which one)
pulled off a kidnapping of the Baroness, in order to raise money for their
charity. That would have been fine, as far as it went, but they then held
forth for half an hour during Feast about how worthy their charity was, etc.
I found this extremely distasteful and rude, and told the Baron as much.

Now, I have no problem with this or any other charity, but my resentment
stems from the fact that there was no announcement anywhere that this Feast
and event were held partially in support of this charity. If I had known,
then I could have chosen whether or not to attend and support the effort,
but as it was, it was sprung on me when I was in an SCA state of mind, not
in a mundane state of mind, and it ruined the Feast for me and several
others.

So, please, folks, do what you feel you must or want to for whatever
charity, but at least do the rest of us the honor of letting us know ahead
of time.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous