SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2492

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Sat Aug 5 06:44:15 PDT 2000

Johann von Metten, class coordinator for the 1st Known World Animal
Husbandry and Arts&Sciences Symposium, writes:

 I am trying to line up a butcher (licensed USDA approved) to teach a
class on this topic at the KWAHASS. I am really looking for a person to
butcher either a pig or sheep, as I will probably teach the class on
processing fowl. (and after this morning, I have just the cock in
mind!!!)
Anyway, I am looking at a local Amish or Jewish slaugher house, yes,
because they are both humane, CLEAN,  AND period in their procedures.

Johann, poultrier

> Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:14:14 EDT
> From: BalthazarBlack at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - Kid Slaughtering age
>
> In a message dated 8/4/00 8:46:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com writes:
>
> > My position on the issue truly is not a slight to Phlip or that I consider her abilities not to be professional. Just that I would
personally feel better if a licensed professional was on hand for a
matter as serious as the death of an animal. (Okay, so I'm a  bleeding
heart tree-hugger.)

> Would it make you feel any better if you knew that most "professional" chefs don't know how to properly kill a lobster?  I understand the
concern, don't get me wrong. I just can't help but feel that there is
really no "right" way to kill an animal.  It seems to me that cutting
it's head off would pretty much do the trick.  I think what we really
need, rather than a licensed professional or certified butcher, is just
someone with a really sharp axe. Seems that would be the quickest,
easiest way to do it.  If you're going to kill it, kill it.  No need to
get technical about it, if you ask me.  Which, of course, you didn't :)