SC - Australian Cornflour - Definitive answer?

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Aug 20 21:07:40 PDT 2000

Along the same lines, but from the U.S. side, I was thumbing through one
of my Williams & Sonoma cookbooks, and they had a good definition of
what we Americans call "corn starch."  As it turns out, it's not
"starch" in the strict definition of the word, it's a very particular
type of _flour_, "ground from the endosperm of corn--the white heart of
the kernel--and, because it contains no gluten, used to give a delicate
texture to cookies and other baked goods. _Also known as cornflour_.
[emphasis mine]"  I would be really interested to know why it's marketed
in the U.S. as starch....<g>
- --Maire
(Oh, and speaking of gluten-free stuff, I ran across a decent, entirely
luscious recipe for Chocolate Decadence Cake that is gluten free [has no
flour, although it has loads of chocolate, etc, etc] I'll try to post
the recipe soon.)
- --Maire