SC - vinyl inflatable beds

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Mon Aug 21 10:15:32 PDT 2000

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
> We are thinking of getting one of those heavy vinyl inflatable  beds (The
> ones as seen on tv that inflate in one minute) to use as extra guest space.

I must have missed that infomercial, but my lord and I have successfully
used a queen-sized vinyl inflatable bed for the back of the van and at the
Grand Outlandish and guests.  Two layers of carpet at Outlandish protects
against the cactus that mysteriously appears in places you just cleared.
We are currently on our second mattress, the first having succumbed to a
11 year old girl, who stayed the weekend.

> Or, failing that to get a futon mattress for the same purpose.

I also have one of those futon couches (full-size, 6" w/ foam core).  It
folds down into a very comfy bed.  Which is easy to do at midnight after
and event, when you and your guests are tired.  Two people barely fit and
anyone over 5'10" has to sleep diagonally, or you have to toss it on the
floor.  Guests choose it over the inflatable, when I give them a choice.

> Has anyone ever used a vinyl inflatable bed?  Are they any good?  Do you
> think they will last long or do you think they will get a puncture in them?

My experience is they don't survive children, who think it's a trampoline.
The patch kit worked for 5 mins max.

My teenage son has one of those "Thermarest" camping pads.  He's had it
for 6 years and it goes everywhere.  It inflates as you unroll it, so you
don't need a pump.  We got it from REI.

Good luck,

Ariann