SC - OT - need advice about vinyl inflatable beds

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Aug 21 13:49:35 PDT 2000

Ok folks, since no one has said it, I will (after all, I'm an Old Queen
and can say what I want!)...

While punctures are probable, and a big problem when they do (though
YMMV), I consider the Really Big Problem to be the *noise*. Vinyl air
mattresses have a peculiar sound all their own- and I don't know 'bout the
rest of you, but if you've ever camped next to an amourous couple, there's
nothing quite like the EE-ee-EE-ee-EE all night long, and then you have to
try to say "Good morning!" without cracking up... think I'd want to
advertise like that? Nooo- it's bad enough when Certain Countesses (then
Princess) round up judges and scorecards to sit outside my pavilion door
when I wander out looking for my tea (taking their lives in their hands, I
might add!) and I had been trying Very Hard to Be Quiet. The knight I was
with thought it was hilarious. (Note use of the *past* tense...)

My 'futon' isn't really a futon- it is a couple layers of foam pads (one
eggcrate) and a feather bed, layered up, covered with one of those
zippered mattress covers, and then covered with a corduroy sleeve. It has
webbing straps sewn to one end that wrap around to roll it up, and for a
temporary bed or tourney bed it is really nice. The layer of feathers
holds heat (nice when a friend got hypothermic recently) and the foam
keeps some spring. It rolls up quite compactly for a double bed and
because the corduroy is upholstery fabric, I don't worry if something
gets on it during transport or if it gets some random champagne or whipped
cream on it. _It WORKS_ and that is what I care about. And it allows me to
be comfy in camp, which along with the tea is a a public safety measure...

telnetting from Alys' again (I'll be back in Portland later tonight!),

'Lainie