SC - Acorns

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Aug 22 20:56:31 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 22 Aug 00,, that Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> it quoted a passage from Cervantes'
> "Don Quixote" which mentions that there was a passion
> in Spain for eating this particular acorn roasted like
> a nut.

FWIW, the 16th century Spanish health manual by de Villena includes
a "chapter" (one paragraph) on acorns.  However, it only discusses their
health characteristics, and does not give any indication if these were
eaten as food, or only medicinally.  I don't remember seeing any
Spanish recipes for them, but that proves nothing.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net