SC - SC-Re Squid/Cook Times

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 23 12:45:47 PDT 2000

KallipygosRed at aol.com wrote:

> **Tell them that even two and a half minutes is too long for
> multi-legged swimmy things.  The ideal way to cook octopus is to "blanch" it
> by dunking it in boiling water three times.  After boiling in the name of
> the Father, Son, etc, it can be cleaned and cooked as directed.-Holly**

Certainly there are octopus that respond well to this kind of treatment,
and many that are too large and tough; it'll depend on what you normally
find in your area. I can see this method being effective with the small
baby octos, particularly ones taken fresh from the Aegean, but the
2-3-pounders often sold frozen may requre a bit more.

I suggest blanching them until you can skin them, and cooking them until
they're done, and avoid relying too heavily on the timer.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com