SC - Non-Member submission - Cubebs and Grains - Pepperer's Guild

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Aug 24 07:51:03 PDT 2000

>>Anyone here know of a good supplier for either cubeb berries or grains
of
paradise?  I used to have a cubeb supplier, but they stopped carrying
the
<<<Katja Wrote:
Somebody's probably already answered this but...
In addition to Francesco Sirene, Spicier, I suggest that you check out
the
Pepperers' Guild, which is run by a couple of SCAdians. I buy cubebs and

grains of paradise (and juniper berries and saffron and white pepper and

...) from them every year at Pennsic, and I'm very happy with the
quality
and prices.

They're also on the Net at: http://members.home.net/dchesty1/page2.html

I am newly apprentice in the Pepperer's Guild to the Guildmaster
Theodoric, and can attest that they have the most reasonable prices you
will find on most medieval spices.  We are a guild attached to the East
Kingdom (and a couple other organizations) that are committed to
providing herbs and spices to historical cooks as a service without
committment to personal profit.  For example, our prices for 1 dwt of
saffron (1/20 of a Troy ounce)  went DOWN from $6 US to $5 US just
before Pennsic.  The stock is always fresh and potent, as the purchases
can attest. Don't be frightened by the low cost . . . that is our
service to historical cooks.  We only carry those items listable as
foodstuffs, and primarily medieval/Renaissance items only.

It's a blast to measure out the spices on the beam balance with a troy
ounce of silver as balance weight.  I am learning the intricacies of
using a beam balance, which isn't as simple as I once thought.  (Also,
there are at least 4 Master Pepperers that I met at the war, so there
are more than a handful, but fewer than a gaggle in the guild.)  Please
support the Guild, and the merchants making a living doing their spice
sales.  There is room for all of us in the marketplace.

niccolo difrancesco