SC - Re: Translation Help

Jeff Brainard marcocaprioli at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 20:30:25 PDT 2000

"Aqua Odorifera Ale Mane"
aqua odorifera-- literally "odorous water", more correctly contsrued as

    "fragrant", ie. spiced or rosed, etc.
ale mane-- as with middle English, I said this out loud as I read it,
    and moderized according to standardized modern Italian, it would
    read, "alla mani". I don't have my eng-italian dictionaire
    available right now (packed for school) but the conversational
    manual I *DO* have out right now indicates "mani" as a plural for a
    time of day. I can't be absolutely sure, but it would seem as
    though it would indicate "morrow" or "morning", but not "day",
    which is more correctly "giorno" and "giorni".

So, as I would construe it, "aqua odorifera ale mane" would equate to
the modernized "aqua odorifera alla mani", or "fragrant water of the
morning." Of course, I could also be completely wrong, but I doubt that
I'm too far off base.

Marcello

- --- Ann & Les Shelton <sheltons at conterra.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I'm hip deep in de Nola right now (cartoon images only, please) and
> I've
> run across a couple of things that I just cannot translate.  Web
> searches are of no avail, and the nearest copy of the "Diccionario de
> la
> Real Academia Espanola" is in a university library, which is closed
> for
> the summer.  Can anybody tell me what "rabano vexisco" translates to?
>
> The nearest thing I can come up with is "a type of radish called
> rabaniza".  Then there's "gallocresto", which is a kind of sage, but
> what kind?  Let's not even mention "toferas", "turmas" or "criadas de
> tierra".  The closest I can come is "Criadillas de tierra", which
> translates literally as "earth testicle".
> Yikes.
> Can anybody provide clarification/input/chocolate covered cherries?
> (Worth a try.)
> Vicente
>
> I'm having a similar problem with the feast menus in Scully's new
> book.
> I've been using 2 Italian-English and 2 Latin-English books, along
> with
> attempts on several translation websites.  I'm getting most of it,
> but
> there are some words/phrases that just aren't making it. The most
> aggrievating one is "Aqua Odorifera Ale Mane," because it appears as
> course heading in 4 of the menus. The best I can guess is Aqua=water,
> Odori=fragrent, referring to herbs and spices, Ale=?, Mane=morning.
> The
> only thing I get from the translation programs is "Aqua Odorifera
> Mane
> Wing."
>
> Another problem is "In Tace," i.e. "Capon De Latte In Tace."  I am
> guessing that "Ficatelli" means something like fricasse {Ficatelli De
> Capreto}, for lack of any other option.  "Sumata" is some unknown
> type
> of salted meat, I'm guessing "Lengue" is tongue, and there are a few
> roasted meats lying around, such as Signale, Quaglie {quail?},
> Anatre,
> and Zonchata that remain unidentified.
>
> I'd appreciate help from anyone who can correct my mistakes, or
> provide
> a URL for a Medieval Italian translation page.
>
> John le Burguillun

> SCA-Cooks".

=====
Marcello di Caprioli, Ornament of Artemisia
Shire of Silver Keep
The Glorious Kingdom of Artemisia