SC - Re: Wannabe

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 25 10:47:26 PDT 2000

- --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> Luanne said:
> > I've tried to work with some redacted recipes and
> either the recipe is TOO
> > modernized (so what's the point) or it calls for
> ingredients I don't have
> > and don't know where to get.

Lord Stefan's advice is sound, and there is a wealth
of information in his Florilegium.  Of course, those
on the list who know me will probably cringe at this
next statement....

Rather than forego trying a recipe because you cannot
find one ingredient, I would suggest substituting, or
omitting the ingredient alltogether.  If this is your
first attempt at the recipe, go ahead and try it
without the ingredient, so you will be at least
familiar with it.  No sense hunting around for one
ingredient just to make a dish you may not like after
you've made it.  If, on the other hand, you are
attempting a historical reproduction of a published
dish, then you may want to go "by the book".  It's a
matter of personal preference.

If you do not wish to make any substitutions or omit
any ingredients, and wish to retain the "purity" of
the recipe, then I might suggest that you take a peek
at Francesco Sirene's online spice market.  He has
just about everything you could want in the way of
medieval herbs and spices, and the prices are good.

Just my two penne worth...

Balthazar of Blackmoor