SC - Re: Making cheese

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Aug 26 00:25:18 PDT 2000

Hauviette asked:
> I am cooking a Chaucerian Tavern Feast in November and would like to keep it
> simple but true to life, without being a bland feast. Of course I'm working
> with Cantebury Tales and Master Huen's site is marvelous. I will be supplying
> my own recipes and wish to make as much from scratch as possible.

My appologies if you've already checked these files. This one in the
FEASTS section might be useful for some ideas even if you don't use
the recipes:
Tavern-Feast-art  (14K)  1/13/99    An all-day tavern-style feast.

> One thing I want to do is cheese. I'm working on getting unprocessed milk
> from some local farmers. My quandery right now is if I need 10 lbs of cheese,
> approximately how much milk will I need? In looking at the recipes, for a
> semi-hard cheese, it seems to me I will need 4 quarts of milk for every pound
> so 40 quarts(10 U.S. gallons?)Sheesh, that's an awful lot of milk.

Here are the files I have on cheese and cheesemaking. These are in the
FOOD section:
cheese-msg       (144K)  7/27/00    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
Cheese-Making-art (30K)  9/29/97    "Cheese Making for the Compleat
Novice" by
                                       Lady Aoife Finn.
cheesemaking-msg  (39K) 12/ 8/99    Comments and info. on cheesemaking. Recipes.

I wish you a lot of luck. Sounds interesting. There were at least three
cheesemaking classes at Pennsic. I wanted to take at least one of them.
Unfortunately, two, maybe all three were on Monday. And I forgot to
register for any classes on Sunday. :-(

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net