SC - OOP - Wedding favor question

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 26 07:10:52 PDT 2000

Tara Sersen wrote:
> One idea that I had was a "warm up kit" - a bottle of cider and some
> mulling spices to take home and warm up, to beat the October chill.
> I'm picturing a 12 or 16 ounce bottle of cider with a tea-bag of
> spices tied to the neck or handle.  But, we need to find the 12 or 16

> ounce bottles of cider.  My experience has been that the cider sold
> in glass bottles is the carbonated-apple-juice variety, not the good,

> thick rich stuff that is heavenly when warmed up.  I've never seen
> the good stuff in glass bottles.

Adamantius gave some good suggestions if you're talking about an
alcoholic-type cider, but I got the impression you meant the
unfiltered-apple-juice type.  If so, I would suggest trying to find a
local cider mill (local to where you live, or to the wedding site -- I
don't know how far away it is).  I live in NW PA, and there are cider
mills around here that will either fill your jug (actually, they swap
the glass jugs, I don't think they'd fill one w/o sterilizing it
themselves) or you can buy it in plastic containers in sizes gallon to
pint.  I imagine you could find one to do a special bottling for you,
and they'd certainly be able to tell you if it's reasonable or possible
to bottle the fresh stuff for non-refrigerated storage (which I doubt,
but you could ask).  They'd be a good source of information, if nothing
else.

I totally agree that you probably don't want to try to bottle it
yourself, since you don't have enough lead time for the trial-and-error
process, and another stress-producer you don't need.  How about going
the take-home-the-decorations route?  Have you thought about candle
holders made out of those little pumpkins and pine cones, in hurricanes
since you're outdoors?

- -- Harriet