SC - Metal drinkware (was With a Curtsey to Their Majesties: An Introduction)

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 29 05:10:30 PDT 2000

> I find that this happens with everything except water and milk (oh, and
tea
> and coffee - but you get the picture).  I hate drinking out of metal
> (usually silver, but pewter is definitely a no-no in my book too) and
simply
> don't do it, although a few people around here have metal goblets coated
> with a gold looking substance, which doesn't seem to have these problems.
> When I started, I did get second-hand metal drinkware, as did my Lady,
but
> we now have earthenware and glass - sure, it's fragile, but at least I
can
> drink!

Ah!  Yes!  My favorite piece of SCA feastware was a wonderful, *hug*
pottery "loving cup" chalice made by a Druid vendor (d*mn! the name escapes
me and he's such a *Wonderful Fellow*... jolly, bearded Santa Claus type...
always very sweet and chivalrous)... I still have it, even though I
eventually managed to break the base off of the cup  (I use it as a display
piece now... I always forget to get ceramic glue when I'm out and fix it
up.)  And it's *definately* period :-)  And of course there's never any
tainting of any beverage.

A friend of mine recently came up with a concept which looks nice (it's
certainly not period, but can be a good substitute)... she covers glassware
with silver, gold and brass colored "sculpey" clay and makes "metal coated"
glass goblets and mugs out of it.  It's an interesting concept and makes a
nice artistic statement.  She doesn't run the sculpey all the way up to the
lip so that they can be drunk from safely.

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier