SC - artichokes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Aug 29 21:18:46 PDT 2000

Ras declared:
> melcnewt at netins.net writes:
> << ow are these Jerusalem artichokes  >>
>
> Jerusalem artichokes are new world.

There do appear to be at least two types of artichokes. One is
European and one is American. From this, I imagine what I see in
the vegetable counters here in the US is the "Jerusalem artichoke",
right?

How would I identify in the store which is which? I've become a little
bit less sure of the labels I see in the grocery stores from some of
the comments I've seen on this list. Has anyone here tried both of
these? Perhaps using the same recipe? Master Cariadoc? If so, how much
differance is there between them? If all I can find is the American
version, how different will that be from using the European version?

The following is one of the messages in this file in the FOOD-VEGETABLES
section of the Florilegium:
artichokes-msg    (11K) 12/ 8/99    Period artichokes. Recipes. Cardoons.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net