SC - artichokes

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Aug 30 06:46:57 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/30/00 12:19:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< There do appear to be at least two types of artichokes. One is
 European and one is American. From this, I imagine what I see in
 the vegetable counters here in the US is the "Jerusalem artichoke",
 right? >>

European artichokes or Globe artichokes are flower buds. They are green and
consist of overlapping scales.

ar*ti*choke (noun)
[Italian dialect articiocco, ultimately from Arabic al-khurshuf the
artichoke]
First appeared 1530
 1 : a tall composite herb (Cynara scolymus) like a thistle with coarse
pinnately incised leaves; also : its edible immature flower head which is
cooked as a vegetable
***

Jerusalem artichokes are tubers which are cream colored and similar in
appearance to a skinless extremely knotty potato.

Je*ru*sa*lem artichoke (noun)
[Jerusalem by folk etymology from Italian girasole girasole]
First appeared 1641
 : a perennial American sunflower (Helianthus tuberosus) widely cultivated
for its tubers that are used as a vegetable and as a livestock feed

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/