SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Aug 30 08:06:47 PDT 2000

> I like the idea, although more from the viewpoint of a customer than
> from that of one of the cooks/organisers of such a thing. While I
> might be willing to put in a few shifts as helper, scullery etc,
> Pennsic is my vacation and going to the expense of flying up there to
spend
> all week working is not really what I want to do. Sorry, if that
> makes me sound selfish.

I agree with Stephen here.  I was a partner of the Pennsic Inn the first
two years of its existance (the competitor for the Sayted Tiger) and
spent the first year cooking over an open flame for the entire time.  I
came back sick as a dog, and having had very little time off for the
enitire of my vacation (my vacation from being an apprentice chef, talk
about a busman's holiday!).
	This project would work well if there was a common fundraiser that the
participants all felt strongly about, or if there were someone who was
willing to take this on as their personal responsibility and as a
money-making venture, but I don't see great success coming from a project
done for the good of period cooking everywhere, no matter how altruistic
we feel.
Perhaps a group of folks from the East/Aethelmark/Atlantia area might
consider starting up with something like this for a few weekend events,
to see how well a venture of this type might go at Pennsic.  The food
vendors there are almost all professional restauranteurs now, with
permanent establishments in the local area.  They pay their staff and
have the food inspectors come in just as they would for an off-site fair
or arts festival.
	Please consider the amount of work that would go into this thing, and
the fact that one or two people will end up putting in the lion's share
of work, before getting too grandiose in the planning.  Volunteering for
feastcrat duty for a regular event is very taxing, consider the
ramifications of multiplying that out by a REQUIRED sales time of a week
and a half.
Christianna
been there, done that, had the bronchitis to show for it