SC - artichokes

margali margali at 99main.com
Wed Aug 30 10:44:19 PDT 2000

Jerusalem artichokes are the root of a sort of sunflower, IIRC part of the latin
name is girasole, which is supposedly how they got named jerusalem [ they sound
similar.] The artichoke of europe is a giant thistle.

I take the jerusalem artichokes, scrub them well and slice them into salads, or
chunk them and add them to soup. You could also armor them in place of turnips or
bake them like potatos.

I take the globe artichoke and do several different things with them. I will
quarter them, scoop out the choke and steam them and serve with melted butter,
mayonnaise or salad dressing [my brother likes italian, I always preferred blue
cheese] or steam them whole, take the leaves and choke off the base and use the
base as part of a garnish by filling it with baby green peas cooked with diced
prosciutto or with a nice puree of green peas and little shreds of onion and
garlic sauteed in butter. They are a strande food though, there is a chemical in
them that makes whatever you eat with or after them taste sweet. There was a
california winery that in the 70s made an artichoke wine and it would blow the
taste buds for anything afterwards..but then again so did their chocolate wine;-)

They have an artichoke festival in the san francisco area that I really really
want to go to sometime!
margali
[yes, artichokes and lobster both with drawn butter are the components to my
favorite meal...my secret is out!]

margali