SC - Finally going to cook something period!!!

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Wed Aug 30 10:51:17 PDT 2000

Oh happiness!

And joy even.

Not only am I going to get to attend an actual SCA Feast late this September, I
am going to have the opportunity to cook a multiplicity of period dishes this
November.

My "Renaissance and Reformation" teacher is having a project where students have
to research real historical figures and show up to her house for dinner as those
historical figures.  Costume not required.

After telling us about this, someone asked if we'd be having period food "like
at Renaissance Fairs" and she said that she probably would not be able to since
she wasn't that great a cook and didn't have access to much in the way of period
recipes.  Before I could speak up, one student raised his hand "I am that good a
cook, I can help." and then I spoke, "I'm an okay cook and I've got period
cookbooks."

So for a grade I'll be planning a feast.  And unlike the last time I tried to do
this (back when I was new to this list) the teacher and students are not only
amicable to the idea but willing to contribute money, kitchen space, and cooking
ability.

I'm thinking that I'd like to do my Actual Historical Figure (tm) part of the
project as a cook.  If anyone knows of any sources I can use as a jumping off
point for looking for biographical information on people like Sabina Welserin or
Platina . . . please tell me.  I am going to need to start requesting inter
library loan now if I want to do this project right.

Also, throughout the years I've been on this list I have been reading with much
glee the recipies and feast menus posted but not saving them due to server
space.  Since I've never planned dinner for more than five people, if I could
get some off list reposts of feast menus or pointers of websites where I can
find them, this would be appreciated beyond belief.

Happily in Service,
- -M