SC - CAWL CENNIN CYMRAEG - WELSH LAMB STEW WITH LEEKS

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Aug 30 15:40:57 PDT 2000

Adamantius wrote:

>I believe swedes/rutabagas existed in Europe in period, but I could be
>remembering a non-fact. I have a vague recollection of them being
>introduced to places like Britain somewhat after period, but I believe
>they are indigenous to Eurasia and as old as other root vegetables.

While the origins of the swede/rutabaga are somewhat shrouded in mystery,
most sources agree that they originate in Central Europe, probably in the
late medieval period, and reached England and France via Sweden in late 17th
or early 18th century, probably mostly as a fodder plant. IIRC, they weren´t
grown for human consumption in Britain until the latter part of the 18th
century but I may be wrong - I don´t have the source for this at hand just
now. (The name rutabaga is also of Swedish origin, as they were widely grown
in Sweden early on.)

Swedes/rutabagas were brought to Iceland in the 18th century and became
quite popular, as they are one of the easiest vegetables to grow in the
harsh conditions here. They were one of the three vegetables of my childhood
(the others were potatoes and white cabbage). The Icelandic Rutabaga
Farmer´s Association is trying to advertise them as "the lemon of the
North", Yeah, right.

Nanna