SC - From His Grace Cariadoc ::::::]A ROAST OF MEAT

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Aug 30 15:24:50 PDT 2000

At 3:41 PM -0400 8/30/00, Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
>Your Grace,
>Can you tell me please, why you have to cook the lamb seperately from the
>onions & garbanzos.  It would seem to me that the juices from the meat would
>give the other stuff such a lovely flavor that you couldn't really get by
>putting the meat in at the end.
>thank you
>Phillipa
>
>A ROAST OF MEAT
>
>(Western Islamic, 13th c. Andalusian p. A-38.)
>From Cariadoc's Miscellany. Copyright © by David Friedman, 1988,  1990, 1992
>
>Roast salted, well-marbled meat [cut up] like fingertips, and put in a pot
>spices, onion, salt, oil and soaked garbanzos. Cook until done and add the
>roast meat; cover the contents of the pot with cilantro and sprinkle with
>pepper and cinnamon; and if you add whole pine nuts or walnuts in place of
>garbanzos, it will be good.

I don't know why it is done that way--I was just following the
original recipe, which specifies cooking the garbanzos etc. until
done and then adding the meat. All I can tell you is that doing it
that way works--I have no idea whether doing it another way would
work better or not.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/