SC - period salad referances

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Aug 30 22:40:28 PDT 2000

Master Cariadoc replied to my listing of period cookbooks that had
salad recipes:
> It would be interesting to look through other collections of menus
> and see how common salads are.

Yes, it would be. In a totally unscientific survey open to a lot of
bias in the source materials, I took a look through my p-menus-msg file.
There were only about eight or nine menus given in the file and some of
these are likely to be incomplete because we were talking about meat
dishes at the time or similar reasons.

However, of these eight or nine menus, only two had salads.

This might well be understandable if the comments of a recent poster
here are correct and fresh leafy vegetables that can be eaten raw in
a salad were only available for a few weeks in the spring.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net