SC - Re: Period Foods for Kids

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Aug 31 06:00:02 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/30/00 2:16:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<< Do we have any evidence that what we call "orange marmalade" is
 period?  >>

I am unaware of any. I included it because a number of years ago someone
brought  Seville orange marmalade for the Yard Sale table at an event I was
at and claimed that they had gotten from a late period source perhaps even
Martha Washington's book, IIRC (which I probably don't).

However, it's inclusion is just as OP as the idea of a separate children's
feast is. Rather, such separate service of children is likely period but the
idea of a menu specially prepared for them is not, SFAIK. In keeping with
sperate feasts ideas that are period, more often than not the gentlemen dined
separately while the ladies watched from the gallery. Perhaps we could
incorporate that idea also along with children's feasts where the children
are only allowed to sit on the floor or stand at the table.

While the idea of a children's feast and the mental stimulation involved
planning such a thing are intriguing, I have yet to see any evidence that
such a thing was actually done in the middle ages, let alone in SCA period.
Such evidence would be welcomed.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/