SC - Qata'if -- duck and bread

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at morktorn.com
Thu Aug 31 11:32:02 PDT 2000

Somebody wrote:
> >What I was trying to say: the basic quata'if lookes more like a dessert
> >than a chicken dish to me.

This seems to me to be a modern approach. So many of the recipes we look
at have what we think of as sweet spices in them. Some of the quata'if
recipes look like kissing cousins to a Moroccan bastilla, which has layers
of thin pastry, egg, pigeon, almonds, cinnamon and sugar. I'm not
convinced the period European recipes have a distinction between sweet and
main meat dishes, much less Middle Eastern modern or period.

Mirhaxa
  mirhaxa at morktorn.com