SC - artichokes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Aug 31 22:23:45 PDT 2000

Cariadoc replied to my message:
> At 11:12 PM -0500 8/30/00, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >You might also want to take a look at the several period recipes in
> >this file in this file in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section of my files.
> >These tend to boil the artichokes with meat and use a lot more different
> >spices.
> >artichokes-msg    (11K) 12/ 8/99    Period artichokes. Recipes. Cardoons.
>
> It's worth noting that although cardoons are closely related to
> artichokes (the plant looks like an artichoke on steroids, with
> miniature artichokes on it), what people normally eat is the leaf of
> the cardoon not (as with the artichoke) the bud. So a cardoon recipe
> would be quite different from a modern artichoke recipe.

Now you have me a bit confused. Two of these recipes in this file are
in a message from you. I have pasted the message below.

Now "Peel the cardoons" would seem to apply more to a bud, like on
the artichoke more than a leaf. Or are you supposed to peel off the
outer leaf surface? It almost sounds like peel off the outer layers
leaving something like an artichoke heart.

But I've never seen a cardoon and only eaten artichoke once, as I
mentioned, years ago. I will add your message to my artichoke file.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net