SC - Humoral theory is alive and well.

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Wed Aug 2 16:02:21 PDT 2000

 Jenne Heise quotes and writes:

>  > I'm sitting here researching a company who's business we are looking to
> solicit.
>  >  They sell vitamins and nutritional supplements.  There is a changing
"Did
> you
>  > know" banner on the top of their webpage.  One of the "facts" that it
> proclaims
>  > is: "Improper food combinations can cause gas, belching, bloating,
stomach
> discomfort
>  > and mental dullness."
>  > Ok, by reputation chili dogs and baked beans could cause the first 4,
but
> is
>  > that really the combination?  Wouldn't chili dogs or baked beans alone,
in
> suitable
>  > quantity, do it too?  And, mental dullness?  All I could think was,
> Humoral
>  > Theory is alive and well in the Alternate Medicine subculture...
>
>  They are kooks but they aren't all wrong. Nor are they using humoral
>  theory. Those who have cooked for people who add every food that
>  ever causes discomfort to them to the 'allergy' list, or who have had
>  gallbladder problems or IBS, can watch out for this...

(Snip)

>  However, that's not humoral theory. Humoral theory is an attempt to
>  explain and describe preventive action to avoid various symptoms. Unless
>  they are specifically talking about eating hot dry foods to counteract
>  cold moist foods or cold moist conditions, and/or talking about an
>  imbalance between yellow bile, black bile, blood, and phlegm, then it's
>  just the usual diet/allergy stuff.

I can vouch for efficacy of the Humoral Theory.  I was at a party some time
ago and had been having a good time.  But then I noticed I was starting to
feel sluggish and irritable, and it occured to me that I was phlegmatic and
choleric.  So I went into the bathroom and voided phlegm and yellow bile. I
felt better right away.  It works.  It's true.

Rudd Rayfield