SC - Toys for Tots and other comments

Ratboy kattratt at home.com
Wed Aug 2 20:26:43 PDT 2000

Ya know I will be straight up and personally honest with you here...
I don't know you or anything about you, but Damn, that whole comment has
to be one of the most  selfish comments I have ever heard EVER!!!  I was
sorely tempted to turn in my membership card asking for it to be
revoked.  Now I do understand "Period", and "Living the dream", and
"ReCreating the past."  But Please!!!!
I would  like to briefly translate what I read out of your statement
below... I am wrong in this interpretation then I DO APOLOGIZE and I am
SORRY!!!

Translation follows.

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> << Toys for Tots??  Ridiculous to the extreme??>>
>
>   <<Come on, Ras... we are a  service oriented society, are we not?  >>
>
> Service to the Society, yes. We are a nonprofit educational organization. I
> am unaware of any mention of service to the community at large outside the
> context of education as being one of the SCA official missions according to
> it's corporate documents.
>
> Ras

The SCA is an Eductional organization that should only educate.  We
should only help ourselves, and not worry about any problems in the
outside world of Mundania.  Helping organizations that are  doing a good
cause, but don't affect us or didn't effect  our time period that  we
are trying to recreate, is not what we are about  and is a bad idea.  No
matter if helping the other organizations will help bring a smile to
someones face or even possibly get the SCA name out there so more people
become aware of the SCA...

I like to hope that the SCA is an organization that realizes the value
of education through helping others.  (Even if that means giving a bunch
of kids some toys).  I like to think that the SCA isn't a bunch of
people who just go out into a  field and play with their toys in the
dirt, and everyone  else in the modern world can just buzz off.
TO me the SCA is a group of friends who try and help the public be aware
of the Society as a whole by doing good services in the community when
possible and then holding weekend events and demos to show the public
what it was like in the older times.

Do me a favor and don't correct me if I am wrong.

Nicholas of Falcon Cree.
aka Ratboy