SC - Toys for Tots and other comments

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Aug 3 11:57:28 PDT 2000

All right- I'm not outta here yet (GRRR) and I can't resist answering
this...

BalthazarBlack at aol.com wrote:

> >  I just think that in keeping with the 'medieval'
> >  theme charities that have are much broader and have more potential for
> >  actually 'helping' could be utilized. For instance, I think the Make a
> Wish
> >  Foundation is a good cause (Queen, king, prince/cess for a day thing.
>
> Allright.  How does letting a terminally ill child sit on the throne for a
> few hours relieve suffering or financial woes?  How does it "help" at all?
> In truth, it doesn't help the child or their family one bit, but it makes
> EVERYONE involved feel better.... just like the Toys For Tots campaign, or
> ANY other event dedicated to a charitable organization.  I do, however, agree
> that our efforts MAY be better used to raise money (or, perish the thought,
> provide labor) for the construction of new schools, hospitals or research
> centers.... Maybe a special wing of the hospital dedicated to treating the
> Black Death would be "appropriate"?

Bal, have you ever heard of the Boy Bishops?

There were traditions (particularly in France and England, 13th-16th c
or so) of one day a year upending the social order. This usually
involved taking a boy and making him Bishop for a Day, Lord for a day,
wahtever. Very like our Mayor for a day traditions here in the States.
Sometimes it would be a beggar rather than a child. There would be
partying and feasting (sometimes as long as a week) and much is made of
the Substitute Ruler. What did it do? Generally it is held that the
traditions sprung up as a means of easing social tensions, especially if
folks weren't too happy at the moment. When it was done, everyone went
back to their normal routine. I guess you can say it did nothing
tangible but only made people feel better...

As to the modern tradition- it actually does help- giving the kid a
happy day raises their endorphins and can make them more comfortable if
it doesn't substatially change thier condition. And most of these kids
are dying- I would rather a child take some happy memories of adults who
threw a cool party for him. I know if one of my kids were in that
position I'd do everything in my power to that end.

'Lainie