SC - Toys for Tots and other comments

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Aug 3 16:27:04 PDT 2000

I am personally against Toys for Tots on the same basis as Lord Ras is,
why
give the kid a toy, when what he really needs is attention?   I would
rather
have a Big Brother/Big Sister tourney, and have the fighters have a
little
brother or little sister to pal with for the day. Kids really want
Adults to
be there for them, Not just give them a toy an told to go play now.
Give
them the toy but be willing to play with the child, that is what is
really
wanted.  Many times we give a toy to a barrel and think I did a good
deed
but when was the last time (parents of children under 12 not included)
You
played with a child in the neighborhood?  Catch, jacks anything?
How many of us would be willing to teach a child that is between 11-15
cook so they can help Mom or Dad out?  Who has had the neighbor kid ask
about the armor you are putting in the Car or the bow?  Who offered to
take
the child to practice to watch the fighters or the Archers?

Mentor a child and you make the child feel needed.

Thorbjorn

All questions above were Rhetorical.