SC - Toys for Tots and other comments

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Mon Aug 7 10:12:08 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Balthazar of Blackmoor

> Folks and Folk-ettes, I'm having a hard time believing that the opposition
> expressed towards these charity-driven events is genuine.

Unfortunately, Bal, as a once-upon-a-time regular collector (and et cetera)
for Community Aid Abroad (Oxfam in Australia), I think it quite possible
that the objections being voiced here are real and serious (if, in my mind,
totally misguided).  I have heard similar sentiments regularly as I rattle
tins at people or knock on their doors.

We, on the other hand, have tended to give to most charities and usually -
however broke we are - buy a toy or something for one of the many charity
gift drives around Christmas.  We have also asked the Salvation Army if they
could suggest a family which might like to share Christmas (which I take
very seriously - although not from a strictly religious point of view) with
us.  Unfortunately, they have not been able to do this (confidentiality, I
think).  I was brought up in a household where to "feed the stranger at the
door" was strongly encouraged and I remember at least one Christmas when mum
invited a couple of tourists she met at the supermarket to dinner.  I am
pleased to say, they came and had a wonderful time.

I think that these sorts of charities (toy drives for needy families et
cetera) are as valuable as the collection of money for digging wells or
immunising children.

> (who just stepped right through the top of his soap box, and is now trying
> vigorously to shake it loose from his ankle...)

Oops - I think I got hit by the soap box when you kicked it off, Bal!

Gwynydd