Verjuice - was, Re: SC - Non-member submission from Sharon McFarland -Greetings!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 8 18:53:25 PDT 2000

Sharon McFarland wrote:

> Hmm.  I think I used the wrong email address to send my first post...  :)
>
> Oh and a question..  The sources I have state that verjuice is made from
> the juice of unripe, sour, or green grapes.  Another source uses the juice
> of crab apples.  I was wondering if there were any other sources that
> listed anything else that verjuice might have been made of.  I have both
> crab apples and wild grapes growing in profusion around here, and I was
> going to do a comparison study in flavor.  Which is why I was wondering if
> they ever made it out of anything else...

I seem to recall seeing references to verjus made from green wheat. A
taste comparison could be fun, but it would seem to be mostly a matter
of opinion, and determined in period by geography and season. I don't
think a flavor comparison can determine which kind is best, only which
kind you like the best.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy