SC - Lactose Intolerance

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 17:14:17 PDT 2000

LOL!!  I just wanted to throw these two cents in.
After years of drinking several glasses of milk a day,
I started to develop chronic intestinal problems.  My
doctor suggested that I might be lactose intolerant,
so I stopped drinking milk and eating any milk
products.  My symptoms cleared up, but then I had the
wonderful problem of finding recipes etc., that didn't
use any milk products.  While I was in the process of
doing this, I went out to dinner with some friends and
after thoroughly scanning the menu, I picked the one
item that appeared to not have milk products in it.
When it arrived, I discovered after I started eating
it that it had been cooked in butter.  But I was so
tired of my new diet that I decided to eat it anyway.
Afterwards, none of my usual symptoms appeared.  So I
experimented with eating some cheese.  Nothing
untoward happened.  I ate some ice cream, same thing.
So I tried some milk and I got sick.  It turns out
that I am not lactose intolerant, but I do have a milk
allergy.  I can eat processed milk products, which
must cook out some of the harmful lactic acids.  I now
drink water and use Lactaid milk in my breakfast
cereals.

Huette