SC - Butterscotch flavor

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Aug 13 12:03:22 PDT 2000

BalthazarBlack at aol.com wrote:

> butterscotch sauce all these years??  If anyone has a copy of Professional
> Baking by Wayne Gisslen, could you check that book for me?  I used to have
> it, but when I took over for the Chef at a local Hotel, he walked out with
> two of my most expensive cookbooks.  Professional Baking was one of them.
>
> Sheesh!  I need to know...

Gisslen's caramel sauce calls for a tablespoon of lemon juice (which I
suspect is there to both invert some of the sugar and keep it from
crystalizing, and to counteract any bitterness picked up from
caramelizing the sugar) and the butterscotch is a variation calling for
for brown sugar instead of granulated white sugar, and it _omits_ the
lemon juice. Otherwise they appear to be the same.

"CARAMEL SAUCE (Page 134)
Yield: 1 1/2 quarts

Sugar 2 lbs./1 kg
Water 8 oz./250 ml
Lemon Juice 1 Tbs./30 ml
- ----------------------------------
Heavy Cream 1 1/2 pt / 750 ml
- ----------------------------------
Milk 1 pt/500 ml

Procedure:
1. Combine the sugar, water, and lemon juice in a heavy sauce pan. Bring
to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cook the syrup to the caramel
stage [320-340 degrees F, 160-170 C.] Toward the end of the cooking
time, turn the heat to very low to avoid burning the sugar or letting it
get too dark. It should be a golden color.
2. Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes.
3. Bring the heavy cream to a boil. Add a few ounces of it to the caramel.
4. Stir and continue to add the cream slowly. Return to the heat and
stir until all the caramel is dissolved.
5. Let cool completely.
6. Stir the milk into the cooled caramel to thin it out."

As I say, the butterscotch sauce calls for brown sugar and no lemon.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com