SC - Feast entertainment

Black Jade Black_Jade at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 17 18:33:30 PDT 2000

>Entertainment at medieval feasts was for the most part in between courses
>and/or music (*vocal or instrumental) was used as background music. The
>'entertainers should not expect to be 'listened' to if they perform during
>the feast. That is (or was) not their function. The diners should realize
>they need not listen and continue with their conversations.

I agree with this, both as a listener and an entertainer, (albeit not a
very good one).  Most of the people in my barony, I think, do it out of
courtesy more than expecting a floorshow.  But it can get very difficult to
get it right when EVERYONE has their attention focused right between your
eyes.  I usually enjoy myself more when I wander around a feast and croak
my tunes at MY leisure, rather than having to wait upon other peoples.
Some Tables ask me nicely if I could sing them a somg and it becomes a more
private and much more rewarding affair, rather thn people feeling that they
are having entertainment rammed down their throats.

Just my 2c worth (ducking and running at high speed for the Rock)