SC - Feast entertainment

Fri Aug 18 10:37:53 PDT 2000

The site of the Protectorate Feast has a rectangular hall, where it is
common to place the head table along one of the long sides.  The acoustics
are terrible for anyone at either end of the hall.  The reason is that sound
projection is conic and the further you are outside of the cone of
projection, the harder it is to hear.

I'm changing the layout of the feast to place the head table in a U at one
end of the hall with the other tables running lengthwise from the open end
of the U leaving a decent space between the U and the tables for passage.
My primary reason for the arrangement is traffic flow for the servers (so
the hot food is hot), but the layout allows everyone the opportunity to view
the head table and the entertainment and it allows a good speaker to be
heard at all the tables.

I've turned the entertainment over to another person, but I have recommended
that any bardic performances start after a course has been served to all
tables (no clattering dishes and everyone has their mouth full).  I've also
suggested that the open space could be used for dancing in the interlude
between courses, showcasing the musicians and providing participatory
entertainment.

I really like the tables close to the walls of the hall with a large open
space for serving and multiple entertainments, but I seldom have a small
enough feast or a large enough hall.

Bear

Given a rectangular room, as