SC - Feast entertainment

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Fri Aug 18 11:13:26 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From:  Bear
> I'm changing the layout of the feast to place the head table in a U at one
> end of the hall with the other tables running lengthwise from the open end
> of the U ...

This is how our halls are usually arranged.  I tend to wander about a bit
when I am story-telling, but I stand maybe about 2/3rds of the way from the
High Table (I wouldn't dream of having my back to the Baron and Baroness!).
Mind you, I do have a rather... shall we say, audible? ... voice so I can be
heard almost anywhere.

> I have recommended
> that any bardic performances start after a course has been served to all
> tables (no clattering dishes and everyone has their mouth full).

We tend to have the entertainment in the break between courses; at that
point when most people have finished eating.  This is certainly what I
prefer - I am far too fond of my food to allow it to get cold (or worse
still, not be served to me!) while I entertain.  (Mind you, one can have a
bit of a struggle finding the right moment because of all that dancing
people insist on doing! *wry smile*)

I have only once, that I can remember, still been performing when the next
course was ready to be served.  The servers came in and stood still
wondering what to do.  I just waved them in and continued while the serving
went on.  Not ideal circumstances for either of us, but it worked and not, I
think, to the major detriment of either side.

Gwynydd