SC - Haggis and Strawberries

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Sun Aug 20 22:57:20 PDT 2000

I was having a discussion with a (non-cook) SCA friend and she mentioned
that she felt that Haggis would have only been a peasant dish in period (her
grandparents were Scottish and she says they never ate Haggis partly for
this reason).

As well, while this friend is not an authenticity freak on any level, we
were discussing what foodstuffs could ruin the feel of a feast - I said the
bright red vegetables (capsicum, tomato), potato (although, in a soup, it is
at least a bit hidden), chocolate.  She agreed with this list and added big,
red strawberries because she had heard that strawberries as we know them are
more a New World food and that the ones people in Europe would have been
eating would have been the small wild strawberries.

Any opinions (particularly backed up with documentation!)?

Gwynydd