SC - Haggis and Strawberries

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Aug 21 18:11:47 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/21/00 3:41:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Black_Jade at bigpond.com writes:

<< To me...thats a task for a gardener, not
 a cook.

 Just my 2 cents worth
 -A'adeema >>

While I agree with you in principle...there is a variety known as the Alpine
strawberry which can be grown in minimal space (e.g., as an edging, among the
herbs, along a meadow border, etc.) that is available from any seed company.
These plants produce plants with berries about the size of the first joint of
your finger and their taste is to die for.

However, commercial strawberries, which are a result of a cross between a New
World variety and an Old World variety are perfectly acceptable at feasts.
They taste like strawberries, look like strawberries and aside from size have
all the properties of an alpine strawberry.

I also agree with your assessment that the duties of gardener and cook were
separate functions done by separate people in noble households. Oftentimes we
forget in the modern world that jobs were very much specialized in the Middle
Ages. A cook would no more have made his/her own shoes than they would have
ground their own spices or tended the strawberry beds.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/