SC - Fwd: Food Translations

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Aug 21 19:13:00 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 21 Aug 00,, that LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> KallipygosRed at aol.com writes:
>
> << According to my research, "gallocresto" is chicken.  Gallo=cock,
> cresto=crest or top.  Chickenheads?  >>
>
> Cockscombs would, IMO, be the most accurate translation. They were eaten
> frequently and cook up into a sort of gelatinous texture with no
> 'objectionable' flavors.

Although cockscomb would be a correct literal translation, it is not what
is referred to here.  You are under the handicap of dealing with the word
out of context.  The particular recipe is for a sauce.  It says that in the
same manner that one makes parsley sauce (the previous recipe), one
can make sauce of the roots of "rabano vexisco" or the leaves of
"gallocresto".  The modern editor's footnote identifies the latter as a
species of sage.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann