SC - pickled limes

Ron Rispoli rispoli at gte.net
Tue Aug 22 07:23:04 PDT 2000

- -----Original Message-----
From: KallipygosRed at aol.com

>        I have a quest for your food list.  I'm looking for a recipe for
>pickled limes

 I haven't tried this yet, so let me know how it goes.
I assumed this is how the British navy kept limes for the sailors.

PICKLED LIMES from the gourmet cookbook (c) 1950

Select fully mature limes, just before they turn yellow.  Scrape them
throughly and rinse.  Pack the fruit, without crushing, in all-glass
containers to within 1 inch of the top and place a weight on top of the
limes to prevent the fruit from rising in the pickling solution.  At no time
should the limes be exposed above the solution.
Completely fill the jars with a brine of 3 tablespoons salt in 1 quart
water.  Adjust the rubber bands and tops on the jars, using only glass tops,
and partially seal.  As fermentation takes place and the liquid recedes, add
more brine, keeping the jars full so that there will be no air space.  The
limes should be cured in 6 to 8 weeks.  Seal the jars completely and store.
The pickled limes may not retain their original color and may turn quite
brown, but this does not affect their edibility.  Kumquats and calamondins
may be pickled in the same way.