SC - Re: Pennsic Tales

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Tue Aug 22 14:55:13 PDT 2000

> If the water in your toilet tank is less sanitary than your tap water,
> i.e. if there is any backflow, the chances are your local board of
> health will be extremely interested in hearing about it. This is a
> serious no-no in any setting where plumbing is in any way regulated.
> Which is not to say everywhere, but... .

The only health problem with the Toilet tank is the growth of algaes which
occurs in any standing water. That is what makes the inside of the tank
brown and rather slimy.
I do not know what varieties of algae grow in this environment. chances
are that they vary from water system to water system.
Some algaes species are highly toxic. If you are going to do this you will
probably want to clean out any discolorations in the tank with a scrubby
sponge and a little bleach water. Be sure to clean the filler valve, float,
and flapper valve.
Once all is white and gleaming again, flush a few times to rinse.
Then you can hang your "haycorns" in the tank, to leach.

As for myself, I'd just buy them in an oriental foods store, or some such.
then if a mistake is made leaching them, I'd have somebody to sue.
If I did it I'd look pretty sheepish explaining it to the ER staff.