SC - Cleveland Museum of Art (Long)

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 14:21:12 PDT 2000

I did get to the Cleveland Museum of Art, and had about 5 hours there
- --which wasn’t nearly enough.  I probably saw only about a third of the
museum, but got in most of the important (i.e., medieval) stuff.  I’m
sending this to several lists, and there are some things that will be
of
interest to each list; sorry it’s so long.

The thing I most wanted to see was the Guelph Treasure and related
objects (see http://www.clemusart.com/ , Guelph Treasure page).  I did
wander through the Islamic, Egyptian, and Roman stuff on the way, and
used up most of the first of my 4 rolls of film.  The Byzantine and
Early Christian exhibits are still closed for refurbishment :-(  Maybe
I’ll get back another time to see them.

When I got to the Guelph Treasure, I was very glad to see that the
objects are in rectangular cases which can be viewed in one case on all
4 sides and the other 4 cases on one short and both long sides --
meaning you can see the BACKS of things!  Of course, most of these
objects, being altar and/or ceremonial crosses, portable altars, and
reliquaries, were originally meant to be seen from more than one side,
so there’s good stuff all around; but most books only show you the
front side of things, and don’t give you good, detailed views of stuff
like hinges and stone settings and clasps and that stuff.  I burned
somewhere between 50 and 75 exposures on these 5 cases, but I don’t
know how well they’ll turn out.  The light was okay for viewing, but
minimal for photography, and flashes & tripods aren’t allowed, so I was
shooting at 1/60 and sometimes 1/30 second, with f-stops down around
2.8 - 1.4; critical-focus (without autofocus) and prime
visible-camera-shake ranges.  We’ll see what I get.  Also, I need to
work out more on the leg press at the gym before I go back -- you try
spending an hour or two getting-into-holding-steady-getting-out-of a
half-crouch, and see if your thighs don’t let you know of their
displeasure -- for days!!

The thing that most excited me about this area was a large Altar Cross,
circa 1300, gilt copper, champleve enamel, and gemstones on a wood core
(not one of the ones pictured on the web site). Germany, upper Rhine,
originally from the Mehrerau Monastery on Lake Constance.  It had 4
large gemstones (nearly colorless/transparent), one on each ‘leg’ of
the cross, and they appeared to be FACETED!  This may depend on your
definition of the word, however; as I bobbed and weaved in front of the
case, entertaining the guards no doubt, it appeared to me as though the
8 upper (crown) faces/facets may have been slightly curved, possibly
the table as well, certainly the facet junctions were somewhat rounded,
not crisp.  But all 4 stones were clearly cut-corner rectangular like a
modern emerald cut, and you had to look closely to see that the faces
weren’t truly flat.  And there were 8 pavilion facets as well, clearly
visible through the stones, in addition to a culet that ranged from
about 1/4 the width of the stone to probably less than 1/10 the width
of the stone.  The 4 stones were roughly the same size, a bit more than
an inch by a bit less than an inch, and the sides of each stone were
parallel to each other, but they were not very uniform in size or in
length/width ratio or in angle of crown faces to the table.  Couldn’t
get a really good idea of depth, and couldn’t tell if there were girdle
facets.  But I’ll tell you, I was a bit surprised to see what looked at
first glance to be emerald-cut stones on a very early 14th century
object!  There were other good things here, but I don’t remember the
details as well and will need to get my photos back to remind me.

The second thing that really got me was a Table Fountain, gilt silver
and translucent enamels, from France, Paris(?), 1300-1350. This was
really cool, stood (guessing from memory) about 15” high with three
levels, liquid cascading down between levels through little
gargoyle-guys with gapping mouths, the streams thus created curving out
to hit little water-wheels (picture a 1.25” metal disk, mounted
vertically, snipped about 1/16” in toward the center about 1/16” apart
all around circumference, each snippet twisted 90 degrees to catch
water (or wine?) and thus turn the wheel) mounted on axles with little
jingle-bells on each end so that the water turning the wheels rings the
bells. Kewl!  I want one!  From the display text: “Would have stood in
a large
catch-basin.  Water, pumped up through a central tube (perhaps by means
of a foot pump beneath the table), would have emerged at the top
through a series of nozzles (shaped as animals and drolleries),
creating water jets that in turn forced the rotation of the water
wheels and rang the tiny bells.  The water would have cascaded from one
level to the next through gargoyle heads, finally refilling the catch
basin for yet another cycle.  Believed to be the only complete table
fountain remaining from the Middle Ages.”  Wow!  Took more photos.
Have read these were “common” -- anyone know how common?

Another biggie: the Belt (Girdle) for a Lady’s Dress, Italy, Sienna(?),
c. 1375-1400. Basse-talle enamel and gilding on silver, silver thread,
gilt-silver buckle, cast and chased.  Almost 8 feet long, with the
buckle at one end and the 8 holes to be buckled through (spaced 1-3/4
to 2” apart) between 1/3 and 1/2 way around from that end -- so more
than half of the length hangs down to the floor.  Appeared to be made
on a core of knitted/card-woven (?) jute or other cord, an inch or more
wide (like webbing), covered with a casing of fine silver wires or
threads similarly knitted/card-woven but much finer (could only see the
inside core in small spots worn through the silver weaving).  This was
then covered in small enameled plaques, spaced ~1/4” apart, all around
the belt.  Mostly these plaques were ~1” x 1-1/4” (all dimensions from
memory; didn’t think to estimate and write it down at the time), but
those at each end were longer, up to 3” near the buckle and the tab
ends.  Near the buckle end, there were 2 loops, cast metal, not exactly
rings but shaped like a gothic rose window (4 rings intersecting a
central ring?) mounted on a hinge and pivot-rivet thing to turn all
around; these must have been to tie things to or suspend things from.
Also a bar with a hook-type L-shaped bend, the lower leg of the L
sticking out from the belt about 90 degrees, with the end peened over
and cross-hatched -- to hold a loop? hang a purse on?  Last 3 frames
shot of this belt.

Also got a shot of a “Clavendier (Belt Hook), Netherlands, late 14th
c.”; some other enameled jewelry; a really impressive carved rock
crystal cross more than 2 feet tall; several illuminated
manuscripts;...

I haven’t gotten the film developed yet; I’m trying to decide how best
to get it all on-line to share.  I can send it to an internet digital
photo service, who will develop the film and then scan the negatives
and post small, relatively low-res images so you can only get prints of
the good ones (the best part is I could send out a password to the
list, and anyone interested could look at them and even order their own
copies of prints if they want them; the bad part is the on-line images
are so low-res it’s difficult to determine if the image printed from
their high-res scan will have good focus, which is my primary concern).
 Or I can get them developed and printed traditionally, and scan the
4x6 prints (which will give me a good idea which prints are worth
scanning, but then I have to find a web site to post them to and it’s
tough to get a scan of a 4x6 print that it would be worth printing to a
larger size [color photographic paper has a resolution about 250 dpi,
so scanning a print at higher res won’t gain anything]).  Anyone have
suggestions?

Margaret -- thanks for the tip about the bean bag in lieu of tripod;
made one, but there wasn’t a good place to use it.

Traci -- saw the altar cloth, and lots of other spiffy textiles -- I
know nothing about embroidery, but was very impressed with the silk
polychrome velvet, cut and voided, brocaded with gold thread (fine
wire).  Ran out of film by this time.  Was also running low on energy,
so my attention level was falling.  I’ll just have to go back. :-)  I
also want to spend more time with several 14th-15th-16th c. chests --
but of course, I really want to see the bottoms & backsides & insides,
of chests and drawers and chairs and ... but I don’t think they’ll let
me turn them over or lift the lids.

- -- Harriet