Filo/phyllo-- was [Re: SC - duck and bread]

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 17:43:47 PDT 2000

- --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> Susan Fox-Davis wrote:
> >
> > If you have trouble finding qata'if in your area,
> you could shred the more-easily found
> > phyllo yourself, it's time-consuming but possible.
>  Partly-frozen dough would probably
> > handle easier, roll it up and cut it with a sharp
> knife like noodles, really thin
> > noodles, as I said before like vermicelli.
> >
> > Qata'if bstilla?  Hmm.  Sounds yummy, but it could
> be messy, you would want to roll it
> > really even and tight to prevent those
> embarrassing 'fallout' problems.
>
> Is there any evidence to suggest that the modern
> qata'if product of
> shredded phyllo/borek is what is referred to in Al
> Baghdadi, etc.?
>
> Adamantius
> --
> Phil & Susan Troy
>
> troy at asan.com

>From what I have read in the "Oxford Companion of
Food", the article on filo/phyllo seems to suggest
that the thin filo dough is out of period for SCA use.
Mid-17th century, if I recall correctly. It does
mention that filo's predecessor was actually thin
slices of bread or perhaps a very thin pita bread.
Apparently from what I have read, the period version
of baklava was actually thin bread stacked together.
This started off as a nomadic Turkish dish from the
14th century.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.