SC - Double cream

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 25 11:02:21 PDT 2000

- --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> Maddalena asked:
> > Anybody know what "double cream" is?

Double Cream is cream which contains no less than 48%
butterfat content, and is usually commercially
produced by centrifugal seperation.  It is right
between "Heavy whipping Cream" (%35-45) and "clotted
cream" (%55).  I have not had much success finding it
in the States.  I would substitute by reducing heavy
whipping cream by 1/3 to 1/2 (and have done so on many
occasions.)  The only drawback to this is the "cooked"
taste which results, which is fairly similar to
Devonshire Clotted Cream.  Hope this helps

Balthazar of Blackmoor