SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

Jen Conrad tjconrad at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 27 10:48:26 PDT 2000

I've been following this tread, and while it seems to be a good idea, I just
wanted to share some of my concerns and real life experiences.

First, how is this to be funded?  Start up costs need to be figured in,
including things as renting equipment, non-perishable items such as what the
food will be served on, clean up items etc.  These are usually things that
can run a budget up.

Second, if the tavern would be open for breakfast at 7am, people would
ideally show up to do prep at 5:30 am.  How many people are willing to get
up at that time of the morning on vacation?

Would there be any monetary compensation for those working, or would it be
all volunteer?  I only ask this because I've been in situations where people
have said "I'll be there, really!"  and then fail to show up.  This happens
in the SCA as well as in the workforce.  This then puts the bulk of the work
on those who do show up and creates burnout.  (Been there, done that, seen
it happen to others)

Where would the foodstuffs come from for this venture?  The local grocery
stores (I feel) would not be able to handle providing the amounts of food
that would be needed.  We would need to locate and open an account with
local foodservice purveyors to provide the amounts that would be needed.

Has anyone estimated or talked to any of the other food vendors at Pennsic
to get a rough estimate of how many they serve each day?  My guess that the
number would be quite high.  This would also determine the amount of staff
that would be needed for such an operation.

Finally, how many of us are willing to work during our vacations?  I did it
this past war, serving as cook to TRM and staff of the Midrealm.  I was up
at 6am every day to serve breakfast at 7:30 am, shopping every other day for
foodstuffs,making sure there was food for lunch and dinner, and helping out
when needed for events concerning food in camp.  Going out and partying at
night really wasn't an option.  And this was not much different than any day
at work for me.  How many of you are willing to do this on vacation?  (OK,
so I was, and that was my own choice, but I'm used to this sort of work
since I've done this business for way too long)  Days like this can run very
long, and with the activity in the food court, without breaks, I foresee.

Just my opinions,

Luveday
Cooking is great - it's a socially acceptable excuse to play with knives and
fire

AOL IM: Luveday Tyreman