SC - Snooty Period Snobs

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Aug 28 12:51:10 PDT 2000

> One of the reasons I've heard for people not being interested in period
> food is the snotty attitude they've gotten from some of the cooks of
> period food.

I'm sorry this is happening in your area. There used to be such an attitude
here but I don't think it exists much in Ansteorra anymore. The real period
food nazis here try to approach period cooking as a fun new cuisine and
not something to be snobby about. We may sniff a bit at non-period food
but if we get a chance to talk with the cook we usually talk to them about
the cool dishes that are period and how we could have used them. Most
cooks I know are as excited to learn new recipes as anyone and often want
their food to be more period or period-like but don't know how to do it.

If there are some out in Ansteorra that take a snobby attitude over period
food then I think the true Period food Nazis here, Mistress Meadhbh, Mistress
Clarissa, HL Gwynedd, or me would serve their guts for Olla Podrida.
We do our best to get both cooks and diners excited over this new world
we've discovered. And you know the biggest fanatic is a convert. So I'm
a pretty big fanatic but I don't push things too far. Feeding people and
making an event fun are the best things a cook can hope for. Doing it
period is even better. I've noticed here that even non-cooks are beginning
to look at feasts and desire more period meals.  Not by beating people
but by making them want to do it too.

> Quite simply, be honest about your people skills or lack thereof before
> you man a counter.

I agree with this. Like I've posted earlier. One snotty clerk at the Pepperer's

Guild has turned me off to a supplier I've used for years.

> Remember, we wear modern underwear and contact
> lenses and take our prescriptions.

We should remember that what we are promoting is a new cuisine and not
a lifestyle.

> If we wanted fanatical behavior, we'd
> play with the Civ War people.

Now, now.  We can't ALL be Cariadoc!