SC - artichokes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Aug 29 22:12:34 PDT 2000

At 11:18 PM -0500 8/29/00, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>Ras declared:
>>  melcnewt at netins.net writes:
>>  << ow are these Jerusalem artichokes  >>
>>
>>  Jerusalem artichokes are new world.
>
>There do appear to be at least two types of artichokes. One is
>European and one is American. From this, I imagine what I see in
>the vegetable counters here in the US is the "Jerusalem artichoke",
>right?

Wrong.

Jerusalem artichoke is the root of a sunflower
("Girasol"="Jerusalem"). The bud of a giant thistle, eaten a leaf at
a time with melted butter or mayonaise, is artichoke--and is sold
under that name in the U.S. Jerusalem artichoke, in my experience, is
always sold under the full name.

Does anyone know why the entirely different American vegetable got
called an artichoke at all?

>Has anyone here tried both of
>these? Perhaps using the same recipe? Master Cariadoc? If so, how much
>differance is there between them?

As much as between lettuce and potato.

- --
David/Cariadoc